Following is a list of oboe reed making tools in priority order. Many companies offer reed kits; however if you are unable to purchase the entire kit, the tools should be acquired in this order.
- Good, quality double hollow ground knife (the most essential tool, must be high quality)
- Flat plaque with rounded ends
- Sharpening stone (India stone preferred)
- Gouged, shaped and folded cane
- Metric ruler
- C-Clamp (2”)
- Box or pouch to hold tools
Items 1-4 will be used for adjusting and making reeds, items 5 – 8 will be used for making reeds only.